social spark Aisling Beatha: Easy Carrot, Lentil & Tomato Soup

Comments

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay, however short, and find something that interests and blesses you.

The tabs just below will take you to posts of particular topics. So if you are looking for my posts on food, fitness or creativity, you will find them there. You will also find my posts on thankfulness or other more contemplative posts, as well as a set of posts with traditional blessings from a number of different cultures.

You can find posts with labels not included in that list via the labels list over in the sidebar.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Easy Carrot, Lentil & Tomato Soup


Pin It

I have made this soup for years, usually just in a single portion, for myself, when I want a tasty warm lunch.  it does take a little while, but if I am at home, I can be doing other things while it simmers.

Since I give you the amounts needed for 1 portion, it would be easy to scale up to however many people you want to feed.


PER PERSON you will need
1 small onion (or half a medium onion or less than half of a large onion)
1 carrot (these were fairly small carrots, so I used 2)
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 oz (25g) red split lentils


Finely chop the onion and grate the carrot.  If you want to peel the carrots, go ahead and do that first, but I trust where mine have come from so don't bother.


Measure your 1 tbsp of tomato purée into a jug.  I just squeeze it straight from the tube and guess at a tbsp.


Make that up to 10 fl oz (half an English pint) with boiling water.


Heat some oil in a pan and fry the onions over a medium heat for a minute or so to soften.


Add the carrots and lentils and fry for a minute or two more.


Add the tomato water, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.  If you like a smoother soup, use more water and cook for longer.


Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and enjoy.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I had forgotten how tasty this is.

Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

3 comments:

  1. I never heard of this...thanks! and easy enough that i will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking to Handmade Tuesdays. It's nice to see a meatless recipe for those times when we want to be frugal yet have something really good to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbled onto your blog via the blog hop and just wanted to show you some blog luv! def enjoyed this post :) new follower!

    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...