social spark Aisling Beatha: Decorated Tin

Comments

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay, however short, and find something that interests and blesses you.

The tabs just below will take you to posts of particular topics. So if you are looking for my posts on food, fitness or creativity, you will find them there. You will also find my posts on thankfulness or other more contemplative posts, as well as a set of posts with traditional blessings from a number of different cultures.

You can find posts with labels not included in that list via the labels list over in the sidebar.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Decorated Tin


Pin It

This is part 1 of a 2 part project that I made as an encouragement gift for a friend.  Part 1 is the tin, part 2 is the contents.

I started with an old oxo tin which had been in my craft room for a few weeks, waiting for me to decide what to do with it.





First of all, I sanded the tin down with some rough sandpaper so that the paint would have something to key into.


Then I got a can of spray paint and got to work.  I took it outside, laid plastic carrier bags down on the table to protect it and got to work.  Lots of light coats is much better than 1 or two thicker ones.  Particularly with your very first coat.  This was a colour with sparkly particles in, and it was weird to watch them moving as the paint dried.



Those photos are after 1 or 2 coats and you can see the building up was a slow process, but eventually I got full coverage.

It took me a while to work out what to use to decorate the outside of the tin.  Eventually I grabbed a set of clear stamps in a swirl design and a pot of embossing powder.  Because this is a metal tin, I went for a pot of Metal Magic by Debi Moore.  I picked that up a few years ago at a craft show and I don't think they make it anymore because I can't find it on their website.  The Metal Magic is a large grain ultra thick embossing powder which came in a range of metallic colours.

I took the straight swirls design and positioned it from a corner, using a versamark pad. I then switched the stamp around the other way and matching it up as carefully as I could, worked from the same point on the other side of that corner.  I did the same at the diagonally opposite corner.


Stamping on something 3d like this, that has a tendency to flex when you press on it isn't easy.  I placed the stamp on an acrylic block and placed that down on the table, stamp facing up.  I then took the tin to the stamp, rather than the other way around.  This meant I was able to provide an even impression from inside the tin, all over the stamp area.  Even doing it this way there were a couple of failed attempts, where I realised once I sprinkled on the embossing powder that I had missed a section of the stamp.  I just wiped it all off straight away, before using the heat gun, cleaned the surface up and began again.

When decorating the lid I did much the same, but using two sizes of corner stamps in the same swirl set, rather than the straight one.  I also grabbed a new embossing powder silicone mould that I picked up from the WOW embossing stall at last week's craft show.  You melt embossing powders down to liquid form in a small metal tin or melt pot, then pour them into the mould.  Once it has cooled you can trim excess bits of with fine scissors or a craft knife. I had chosen a miniature picture frame mould and used the same embossing powder as I had used to decorate the tin.


I measured the size of the centre of the frame, then printed out a picture of my friend, that tiny and cut it out.  I took another pot of embossing powder from Debi Moore (Again not one I can see on their current website), called ____ and using a versamark pad, embossed that all over the tiny picture.  I then glued the picture into the frame and glued the frame onto the lid of the tin.  I did also emboss her name on the tin lid, but have removed that from the photo in post edit, in case she doesn't want everyone to know about it.

Finally I took some decorative papers, and lined the bottom of the tin, and the inside of the base and the lid.



Come back tomorrow for part 2, where I share the encouraging cards which I put inside the tin.


You can check out the sites I link up to over in my sidebar. Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

6 comments:

  1. I love the tin makeover! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this project! I have a few tins waiting around for me and I can't wait to play with them! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great! It's so pretty!! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great maeover, and a great touch with the paper inside.
    Wish you a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so creative, love the results! Thanks so much for sharing all your cooking and crafts this week on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it turned out awesome! Love the techniques you used. If you'd like to share, please stop by Etcetorize to link up at the party going on now: http://etcetorize.blogspot.ca/2012/04/make-it-great-monday.html . Hope to see you there~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...